Mountain Dew Ice Tier List Update (January 2018)

Mountain Dew Ice Tier List Update

Mountain Dew just released their latest flavor onto store shelves, a lemon/lime flavor called Mountain Dew Ice. Let's talk about it. Here is the tier list as of November 2017 with the release of Mountain Dew Holiday Brew:

Baja Blast, still hanging onto relevancy by being sold at Taco Bell, leads the pack, followed by the seasonal DEW-S-A which has since been taken off of store shelves. The limited run Middle Earth Shadow of War Game Fuel flavors have also been discontinued. This leaves the current tier list, including the new Mountain Dew Ice, as:
Mountain Dew Ice was a flavor I was heavily anticipating, looking forward to how well the Dewologists could brew a twist on the ever popular Lemon-Lime Soda. Right off the bat, the soda looks incredibly refreshing. The label and bottle designers did a great job complementing the transparent color of the beverage to invoke a sense of thirst in all but the most hydrated of consumers. However, once I took my first sip, I was taken aback. The new flavor was pleasant, but unexpectedly... mundane. Even I, a certified Mountain Dew expert, would have trouble distinguishing this soda from Sprite or 7up in a blind taste test.
Pictured: my official dew certification

To its credit, there is a slight aftertaste of original Dew after the initial hit of fizzy refreshment characteristic of Sprite, but I was really expecting something unique out of this flavor. The fizz is a little less pronounced than a more classic lemon lime soda, but this just results in a kind of awkward middle ground, as if the drink is having an identity crisis. Again, the soda was pleasant to drink, but hardly captured my imagination in anywhere near the same vein as my first sip of Baja Blast. As I stated in my Holiday Brew review, I've come to expect nothing but the best and most unique from Mountain Dew, and this attempt at cashing in on the success of Sprite just doesn't deliver.

While the newest dew flavor has not yet been spoiled, I think I speak for everyone when I say Dew needs to innovate with this next flavor. Their last couple, Holiday Brew and now Ice have been subpar, and I'm hoping for a bounceback in the new Spring flavor and the seasonal Summer flavor. Thanks, and happy drinking.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TF2 Map Analysis Part 1: Why do so many people play 2fort?

Rivals of Ixalan Limited Set Review: Red